Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bienvenue à Rue Rollin

I went back and forth on the idea of blogging while in France, fearing mainly that I would prove right the author of "Stuff White People Like" in that I believe my life to be very important and every moment worthy of documentation, and then being in Paris (what could I possibly have new to say?), but in the end I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out. If people do happen to be interested in what or how I am doing but can't get a hold of me some other way, well, there will be this.

So. Paris. The rumors are true--it is magical. As of today I've been here a week, but it's hard to believe it's only been that long. There hasn't been a dull moment. In fact, I don't think dull moments exist here. My roommate Melissa and I are fully settled into our apartment, which is located on a little pedestrian street in the 5th arrondissement, pictured above on a beautiful night. Our apartment is perfect, we really lucked out. There is a big (by Paris standards) living room, and one bedroom that we share comfortably. The kitchen is really cute and just big enough for a little table and chair, and everything is fully stocked. The bathroom is tiny--you essentially have to enter it sideways--but who's complaining? Our landlady is really nice and has good taste, we didn't rearrange any of the decorations, ha. And our neighborhood is fantastic and continues to awe us. There is a wonderful boulangerie around the corner that sells delicious organic ("bio") breads and pastries (although there are many others), a cheese place, a fish place, a newspaper place, little supermarkets, various cafes and restaurants, and two metro stops. The most amazing outdoor market makes an appearance three times a week. In a different direction there is a cute little square with outdoor cafes and a small busy street that goes for a long time with restaurants of all kinds (already tried a phenomenal lebanese place), as well as bars and some clubs. Basically great nightlife around the corner from us.

Melissa is a fellow Berkeley student who I did not know before we decided to live together (although we met up for coffee once before France), but who I get along with very well so far. We have a lot in common and she's really sweet, as well as having the generally desirable roommate qualities of common sense and positive energy. She is also half French and speaks just about fluently. So far we've been hanging out with some of the other UC students going to Sciences Po who we met at the UC orientation. There are only about 11 people on the program, and Berkeley definitely dominates (there are 6 or 7 of us). One girl, Beth, I knew from before because we had two French classes together, but it's been really nice getting to know her better here. Allie is Melissa and my mutual friend who is at Sciences Po for the year and who actually went to look at this amazing apartment for us. She has a laugh that is contagious and it is very easy to be silly around her. Then there are two other girls that live together, one from Irvine and one from Santa Barbara, who are both really nice, and a guy from UCSD who I approve of because he has already paid a visit to Shakespeare & Co. (which I decided to track down on the second day here and which has arguably become my favorite bookstore in the world...I'm sure it will be mentioned again soon). He has twice been the only guy among us, but he holds his own. We're still on the prowl for French friends, of course, but we figure it will be more promising when classes start. In the meantime I am pleasantly surprised by how well we all get along.

It's been such a whirlwind that I can't remember what day I did which things but I've seen a surprising amount of the city already. The other day Melissa, Beth, and I walked from the Pantheon (3 minutes walk from our place, no big deal) in the general direction of the Eiffel Tower, and it turned into a lovely 3-hour journey. We walked through the Luxembourg gardens (we had great weather that day) in the 6th and then through the 7th. We found the Musee Rodin and just went into the garden part (which is free) and stared at all the wonderful statues. Then we went on past Invalides (where Napoleon is buried, also part museum) and were temporarily trapped by a large dried-up moat that surrounds the compound, which we found quite amusing ("I like how we can't get from A to B because there is a MOAT in the way"). We eventually made it to the Eiffel Tower which I hadn't seen yet, and stopped to take some obligatory jumping/we're-excited-because-we're-in-Paris pictures. At some point in the day we made the decision to only speak in French and kept it up for quite a while (which we've done a number of times since being here). That day ended with a night out at a British bar/club that had a "student night" that meant cheaper drinks and all that annoying American pop/hip-hop that you tend to love when you don't expect it. It was a lot of fun but we decided we wanted something a little more "French" for next time.

In regards to the French language, I've so far used it very successfully and have really enjoyed myself. The first couple days I was overly amused by everyone just speaking French...here is this language that I've studied for so long and all of the sudden I'm in a place where everyone actually speaks it like it's no big deal! And the first restaurant that my mom and I went to where I had to order I kept thinking "is it UN omelette or UNE omelette OMG I DON'T KNOW" but beyond that first day it has felt really natural and not too scary. Barely anyone has responded in English when I've spoken in French to them (which I've heard can be a common occurrence). I even got my phone completely set up speaking only in French to the guy and only when I had to show him my ID did he say "Oh vous etes de Californie!" My courage has been growing by the day and I figure it can only get better.

Today was a late-start kind of day (I've been waking up pretty late here which I'm not used to) but it's been nice because there hasn't been much of a spare moment to just sit and chill (and you know, blog). We weren't up too late last night but we did go to the Louvre in the evening because it's free for us on Friday after 6. We tackled the Italian renaissance and French paintings, but we'll be back (you may have heard, it's quite a big museum). The weather has also not been very inviting, it is much colder today and snowing! The flakes have not stuck to the ground, though--Melissa and I expressed annoyance at this.

I've left out tons, of course, but before this turns into War and Peace I think I will wrap it up! Looks like I got through my first blog post in one piece, and hopefully I'll be back. (Although knowing me it could be a while.) I also hope to get pictures organized and up soon.

Merci beaucoup et a bientot!

3 comments:

marlene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marlene said...

so amazing to read this and see your street! Merci!! I miss you and look forward to much much more... Who did the street art?

jos said...

I miss you and I'm really sad I didn't get to see you before you left! :( I know you'll have an amazing time. I hope we get to talk live at some point soon! Take care! Love you! -jossy